Cosmetic Dentist In Mertztown, PA
Dental problems are difficult to correct because every person’s smile, and the problems they are suffering from, are unique. The science of cosmetic dentistry employs a myriad of different cosmetic dental treatments and procedures to correct or improve the appearance of your smile. Not only is cosmetic dentistry a science, but it is also an art.
The quality of your results depends on the aesthetic eye and the expertise of the cosmetic dentist you choose to perform your procedures. Because of this, you want to make sure that the dentist you choose to perform your treatment has the post-graduate, cosmetic dentistry training that you need for the results you are looking for. Not all dentists have cosmetic dentistry training, and the American Dental Association doesn’t have special indications to determine which dentists are cosmetic and which are not. For the most part, the dentist you regularly go to is not necessarily the same dentist you would go to for cosmetic treatment.
If you would like to find a cosmetic dentist in your area, look for dentists who have received additional education and cosmetic dentistry training from post-graduate cosmetic training institutions or other organizations.
To determine if the dentist you are considering has the qualifications necessary to perform your procedures, make sure they have had training from a post-graduate dental organization. One of the most prominent post-graduate dental organizations is the Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies, or LVI. Dr. Kun is a LVI Fellow and has completed extensive courses and training in all areas of cosmetic dentistry.
When looking for a cosmetic dentist, there are four steps that you can follow to put you on the right track for making a selection that is right for you:
1. Refer to directories, commercials, websites and other advertising.
2. Ask your friends and family for references.
3. Check with the aforementioned accredited cosmetic dentistry organizations:
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Society of Dental Aesthetics
4. Ask your dentist and/or doctor if there’s anyone he or she recommends.
After you have found a cosmetic dentist in your area, it is important to make sure they are a qualified professional:
- Ask the dentist for references.
- Ask the dentist how many times he or she has performed the specific procedure(s) you want done, and what the rates of complication are.
- Check with the dental licensing board in your state. (This varies by state — an internet search regarding the medical licensing board in your state is the best place to start.)
- Verify credentials and training. Typically, you want a dentist who is exclusively a cosmetic dentist, or at least one who devotes the majority of their practice to cosmetic dentistry. Ask your dentist questions about how long they’ve been practicing cosmetic dentistry, what organizations they belong to, what specific cosmetic dentistry training they have (not just dental training), and ask to see some before and after photos of previous patients.
When learning information about the cosmetic dentist you are considering, it is important that you feel completely comfortable through the entire process, if you begin to feel uncomfortable, or if you are unhappy with anything about the dentist, it may be time to continue your search.
Are you interested in cosmetic dentistry?
Dr. Kun will answer all your questions and help you determine which cosmetic dentistry procedures are right for you.
Call Dr. Kun's dental office in Mertztown, PA at (610) 682-6386 to schedule a consultation today!